My experience of tragedy, trials, and triumphs!
If you're new here start by reading the "My name is Julie" post first!!!

Popular Posts

Friday, February 25, 2011

Signing Time

When I was in High School I was sitting in our church meeting and there was a deaf group there doing the program. As I listened and watched the program it became very clear to me that I wanted to learn sign language. I talked to my Young Women leader and asked if I could learn sign for one of my projects. I signed up for a class through the Jordan School District. I learned some basic sign and loved it. The next year when I started school I entered the cosmetology program. There was a deaf girl in my class. I figured that was why I felt so strongly about learning it. My friend and I became friends with her and we loved practicing our signs with her. She could read lips so she really helped us learn a lot.
After I was married to Jake, my late husband, I took another sign language in college. He worked in the evenings so after my other college classes I went to the sign class. He told me one day that it bugged him that I was taking sign. When I asked why he said he thought I was being prepared and we would have a deaf child or something like that. I laughed at him and told him he was crazy and that it was a fun hobby.
I haven't signed in years and if you had asked me 6 months ago if I remembered any of it I would have said NO. The amazing thing is that as soon as we started signing with Cameron and we got the diagnosis it has all started flooding back. I can remember all of it. It has been so awesome to have this blessing. I already feel so overwhelmed by what he is dealing with. I can't imagine how stressed out I would be if I didn't have any background in sign. We have been watching Baby Signing Time and I have some apps on my iPhone that have been helping too.
I have a lot to learn, especially if it ends up being Cam's main form of communicating throughout his life. I am just so thankful that Heavenly Father prepared me in many ways before all of this happened. We plan on having some classes for my family so everyone can learn some sign. I also think I will enroll in another college class in the next year to learn even more.
Right now Cam signs, thank you, please, more, milk, drink, and food on his own. He also mimics most things I show him. He knows several other signs he just doesn't use them with out being prompted yet. The other day he was trying to tell me something and he started playing with his hands and fingers. I could tell he was trying to figure out if he knew the sign for it. He has loved being able to communicate with me. When I finally figure out what he wants he shouts "YEAH". It's obvious he is thinking finally you figured it out. It's really cute. My family has been awesome in wanting to learn signs and support him so they can all understand what he wants or needs. I am going to try to figure out how to post some videos of him signing. It really is the cutest thing:)

No comments:

Post a Comment